Sunday 4 December 2016

SUNDAY

How much does religion mean to us? How much do we integrate our faith into our lives, our daily actions? Is our religion a label, something that defines who we are?

Understanding different religions and their practices, and the differences in those beliefs, especially your own, will help you decide what you want to believe in.

I grew up as a Christian. My parents were never especially religious, but we went to church occasionally, pressed by my grandfather, who is diligently religious. As a child growing up in  Malaysia, with all the different religions and cultures, made me think that people only made religion because they needed to believe that there's something out there for them after death, that we are better and more civilised than animals, and our physical form, so fragile, is not the only thing we have to depend on. And all those practices and 'laws'? hello validation. FYI I respect every religion/belief there is out there, and those who practice it. Not judging, merely my opinion.

This is morbid but as a child, I also used to envy stillborns, or kids that passed away young. The world was so black & white to me then, and as my Sunday School teacher said, if you dont sin, then you will go to Heaven, which means...if i haven't had a chance to sin, I'd spend eternity in His Kingdom! Isn't that so much more worth it?? hmm still havent settled this question tbh.

I'd talk to Him, in prayer and just..talking out loud, because I could actually FEEL his presence. Unfortunately, until now, I clasp my hands together mostlyyy when I've lost my purse/Iphone, or THINK I've lost it, or pleasepleasepleaseplease report card please be good hahahaha yeah I'm a horrible example of a Christian.

But over the years, as I attended sermons and started reading His word, I got to know Him better, and in turn, myself. I realized that being a Christian doesnt mean you're invincible, or prayer itself will help you get 100% on an exam, but it means being human, being weak, needing Him, and working hard for what you want. Because sometimes it's not until you're truly confused and angry and feel like you've lost everything that matters to you that you see His miracle, right in front of you. The rapidness of your pulse that means the Holy Spirit is urging you to speak/or to act. For He will never abandon you, even when it feels like He has, when you've lost a loved one, or something terrible and unexpected has happened, and you feel so angry at Him, because He has deserted you, but He never has, and He never will. Open your Bible tonight, and push aside your worldly concerns, for 

Matthew 6:26-3426 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Do we not thank those that help us? Or get to know those who we interact with everyday? Get to know Him, His voice, and your life will be so much the better for it.

Today, I am immeasurably grateful to my parents, my sister, all those who has debated with and guided me, for it is because of you now that my faith is so strong. Thank you, all you nonbelievers and atheists, thank you, all you loyal Christians with wills and faith as strong as an ox, and as unyielding as an oak tree. Because of you, I know where I stand, and why my feet are planted here. Because of you, my faith is strong. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment